The three readings this week has given me a better understanding of the impacts and benefits of open pedagogy and open educational resources (OERs). Before I read these articles, I didn’t have much knowledge about these contents since I usually participate in a face-to-face learning or learn from the textbook, e-learning seems to be a new thing to me. There are many important factors that we need to consider when we participate in an open learning environment. 

Open Educational Resources (OERs) includes a lot of digital information and have a large impact and changes on learning and teaching. In Chapter 1 of “A Guide to Making Open Textbooks With Students” Derosa and Jhangian have discussed some pros of open education and open education resources (OER). It raises the fact that Open Educational Resources (OERs) are generally characterized by the 5 Rs: they can be reused, retained, redistributed, revised and remixed. They also recognize a hope that human connections facilitated by technologies can help learners to engage more fully with the knowledge and the ideas that shape our world. ”Not only that OERs offer a free alternative to high-priced commercial textbooks, but also that the open license would allow students and teachers to contribute to the knowledge commons, not just consume from, in meaningful and lasting ways” (May 2017). A lot of university students need to work part-time in order to pay for the expensive tuition, many students may not be able to afford expensive textbooks, therefore, open pedagogy would help students to save money in terms of transportation as well as textbooks. Nevertheless, I wonder how the current pedagogy can protect students from getting resources that may not be relevant or accurate to the course since any user is allowed to create an account and post material on the web. Additionally, some students may face trouble using some OERs if they a poor internet connection.

In another reading, Kral and Schwab (2012) have discussed eight design principles for indigenous learning space. The one that drew my attention was Design Principle 4, young people are given the opportunities to participate in project-based learning and take on responsible goal-oriented roles (2012). I think it is a good chance for young people to learn how to take responsibility after training, engaging and actively involved in ongoing projects. Since they are experiencing in a new space, it helps learners to step out of familiar boundaries and recognize a wide range of skills. 

Kral, I., & Schwab, R. G. (2012). 4, Design Principles for Indigenous Learning Spaces. In Learning spaces: Youth, literacy and new media in remote Indigenous Australia. Acton, A.C.T.: ANU E Press. Retrieved July 20, 2020 from https://press-files.anu.edu.au/downloads/press/p197731/html/ch04.html?referer=&page=10#toc_marker-11

Mays, E. (Ed.). (2017). A Guide to Making Open Textbooks With Students. Rebus Community Retrieved July 16, 2020, from https://press.rebus.community/makingopentextbookswithstudents/chapter/open-pedagogy/ [chapter 1]