Due to current COVID-19 pandemic, education has changed dramatically, with the distinctive rise of e-learning, students are learning and finishing school on a digital platform. In the article, Jordan and Weller (2017) have introduced the concept of openness, overview of how systems, philosophies and technologies have developed in open learning back to the 1960s. Despite the numerous benefits of open education that are mentioned in the readings, I think online learning is still not as effective as traditional face-to-face learning. “While the discourse around OER emphasise opening up quality educational resources on a global scale, later in the theme a recognition that access is not enough and need to be combined with open educational practices emerges” (2017). Even though technology is getting more and more advanced compared to the past decades, online learning for sure can let more people across the countries get educated, in my opinion, the trend has produced its fair share of challenges as well. First, online student feedback is limited. In traditional classrooms, teachers and professors can immediately give students feedback during class or lecture when students are experiencing problems. Second, students who are lack of self-motivation would result in failing the course. In traditional classroom, there are numerous of factors that can motivate students to meet their learning goal, for instance, peer-to-peer activities and strict schedules. However, in an open learning environment, students might not be able to catch up regular deadlines since they are dealing with difficult materials in a comfortable home setting, which I think would be the primary challenge of e-learning. I do wonder how online educators can support students to meet their learning goals, stay focused on their work and achieve their best without immediate support at home. How can students receive the same level of education as traditional classroom? As a learner, I think open education is very challenging since there is less communication between peers, I find myself become less motivated to complete assignments and readings compared to learning on campus.

All in all, although this reading has introduced various of possibilities of open education, I think the authors failed to understand the difficulties especially for the students who are lack of self-motivation. There is no doubt that open education is starting to be addressed and fixed by some of the more innovative online learning platforms, the problem has yet to disappear completely.

Reference

Jordan, K., & Weller, M. (2017). Jordan, K. & Weller, M. (2017) Openness and Education: A beginner’s guide. Global OER Graduate Network.